LumiraDx is a medical technology company developing, manufacturing and marketing smart connected diagnostics and diagnostic-led care solutions. Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs with a successful track record in building and scaling medical diagnostics and health IT businesses, the company has major operations in the UK and the USA, and is supported by a global sales network, LumiraDx is a high growth organization.
We have recently launched the innovative LumiraDx Platform, and are looking for proactive, experienced, focused and enthusiastic individuals who can make a significant contribution to the continued growth and success of our dynamic and forward-looking company.
Scope of the role:
Purpose of the role
We are seeking a motivated Research Associate or Senior Research Associate to join the Metabolics team. You will be supporting the team via technical expertise and by assisting in experiments, and research under the direction of a senior scientist.
Key areas of responsibility
- Design an execute synthetic methods.
- Purify chemicals and interpret NMR, mass, and other spectroscopic data.
- Medicinal chemistry optimization of compounds.
- Work independently as well as with a larger team.
- Responsible for safe storage, use and disposal of chemicals.
- Making improvements/modifications to current synthetic processes.
- Generating ideas for new products and researching feasibility.
- Liaise with external contractors, suppliers and consultants where necessary.
- Keeping up to date in relevant new technology and products.
- Solve problems encountered innovatively and independently.
- Writing and communicating project updates within the organisation.
- Create and maintain quality records for the purpose of assessing and improving methodologies and documenting experiments.
- Ensuring you are trained on all appropriate procedures and training new personnel if and when required.
- Technically reviewing change controls and peer reviewing laboratory notebooks.
- Ensuring you work in conjunction with the quality policy and objectives.
- Manage and develop scientists and technicians within the team.
- Lead cross functional engagement in solving complex problems encountered during product development.
- PhD or Masters and 5+ years industry experience in synthetic organic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, medicinal chemistry or similar technical program.
- Advanced knowledge of organic chemical reactions, mechanisms, and the ability to plan and develop complex multi-step syntheses at the milligram and gram scale.
- Strong knowledge of a wide variety of organic chemical techniques including, dry reactions, organometallic reactions, water and oxygen sensitive chemistry, microscale manipulations, radical reactions, total synthesis, modern organic synthetic methods as applied to long multistep syntheses and purification techniques.
- The ability to characterize synthesis products by interpretation of spectral data including NMR spectra.
- Skills in problem solving and innovation.
- Set up reactions to synthesize and purify organic molecules and develop methodology for separating complex mixtures and advanced purification techniques such as running silica columns, ion-exchange and reverse-phase chromatography, including the development of crystallization techniques for the avoidance of such chromatography for separation of complex mixtures.
- Ability to write clear and concise protocols for complex assay methodologies.
- Experienced in summarizing and communicating project data for senior staff and stakeholders.
- Computer literacy and data analysis skills.
- Knowledge of reagent/conjugation chemistry.
- Knowledge of fluorescent dye synthesis
- Knowledge of fluorescent detection and other assay detection architectures.
- Experience of GMP / GLP / GDP standards
- Experience and understanding of factors important in reagent preparation and drying for use in POC assays
- Experience working in the IVD industry, and having launched IVD products.
- CE marking IVD products, 510K submission and approval process.
- Knowledge and experience of working within a biohazard environment
Communication & Collaboration
- Communicate courteously with customers by telephone, email, letter and face-to-face
- Form positive, productive and proactive relationships with a range of internal and external key stakeholders
Non Technical Skills
To be successful in this role you must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Highly motivated individual that can demonstrate flexibility and a can do attitude.
- Ensures positive, productive and proactive relationships with a range of internal and external key stakeholders.
- Self driven, takes ownership and demonstrates high levels of personal accountability, and is motivated to complete the goals and objectives
- Can listen and present effectively, providing progress updates and feedback on a regular basis
- Ability to plan and organise work in accordance with the overall objectives and required timelines
- Demonstrates the ability to solve problems under conditions of uncertainty and ambiguity and is able to think strategically in times of pressure to drive toward the best solutions
- Able to travel between company sites as needed (not expected to be frequent)
Please note, if you wish to submit an application for this role, please consider the following information
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you are an internal candidate, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, you may be subject to all or some of the LumiraDx standard pre-employment checks.
Criminal records data is processed as part of our recruitment and selection processes and, where necessary, in the course of employment, we verify that candidates are suitable for employment or continued employment to comply with legal and regulatory obligations to which the company is subject.
LumiraDx place a high level of importance on its responsibilities for information security and privacy and have put in place an information security management system to ensure that the company and its staff maintain the highest standards with respect to data protection and information security. All staff are responsible for information security and therefore must understand and comply with the Company information security policies, procedures and guidance.