LumiraDx is a medical technology company developing, manufacturing and marketing smart connected diagnostics and diagnostic-led care solutions. Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs with a successful track record in building and scaling medical diagnostics and health IT businesses, the company has major operations in the UK and the USA, and is supported by a global sales network, LumiraDx is a high growth organisation.
We have recently launched the innovative LumiraDx Platform and our Fast Lab Solutions, and are looking for proactive, experienced, focused and enthusiastic individuals who can make a significant contribution to the continued growth and success of our dynamic and forward-looking company.
We are seeking a motivated Senior Scientist to join our talented Metabolics team based at our site in Solana Beach, San Diego.
This role is permanent, fulltime and you will be responsible for key components in the development of diagnostic assays for the LumiraDx platform. Work is expected to be primarily focused in assay development for metabolics projects, and you will report to the metabolics team RnD director.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Member of the team directing, contributing to experimental design and execution of experiments, and analysis of data.
- Independently designs, plans and executes assigned research and development-related experiments utilizing established and innovative procedures.
- Contributes to the definition and timely achievement of overall project goals. Makes recommendations, and when appropriate, acts independently as well as with a group to resolve scientific problems encountered during experimental procedures.
- Accurately, consistently, and promptly records experimental methods, materials and results in electronic laboratory notebooks. Analyses data, evaluates results, forms conclusions and implements/documents process improvements.
- Able to balance multiple projects in a fast-moving environment.
- Work independently as well as with a larger team.
- Collaborates with operational leaders to evaluate and assess new technology and new assay capabilities.
- Generating ideas for new products and researching feasibility.
- Liaise with external contractors, suppliers and consultants where necessary.
- Writing and communicating project updates within the organisation.
- Create and maintain quality records for the purpose of assessing and improving methodologies and documenting experiments.
- Ensuring you are trained on all appropriate procedures and training new personnel when required.
- Technically reviewing change controls and peer reviewing laboratory notebooks.
- Ensuring you work in conjunction with the quality policy and objectives.
- Manage and develop scientists and technicians within the team.
- Lead cross functional engagement in solving complex problems encountered during product development.
- Perform all processes in accordance with Corporate and Local QMS.
- PhD in chemical engineering, chemical biology, biochemistry, or similar technical program.
- Industry experience with metabolic assays
- Designing, implementing, and optimizing affinity-based assays. This includes building titration curves based on immunoassays and direct binding assays. Example assays include: photoinduced electron transfer, antibody sandwich assays and immunoprecipitation, FRET, and other direct binding assays with fluorescence-based readouts.
- Able to optimize fluorescence based quantitative assays.
- Understanding of polymer chemistry, material science, or particle work.
- Must be detail oriented and highly motivated.
- Ability to write clear and concise protocols for complex assay methodologies.
- Experienced in summarizing and communicating project data for senior staff and stakeholders.
- Computer literacy and data analysis skills.
- Programming experience.
- Some synthetic experience
- Experience with enzyme structure function or stabilization
- Familiar with immobilization techniques to solid phase media such as silica beads or hydrogels
- Familiar with binding kinetics.
- Knowledge of fluorescent detection and other assay detection architectures.
- Experience and understanding of factors important in reagent preparation and drying for use in POC assays.
- UV-Vis Spectroscopy
- Familiar with zeta potential meters
- CE marking IVD products, 510K submission and approval process.
- Knowledge and experience of working within a biohazard environment.
At LumiraDx, diversity and inclusion are part of who we are. LumiraDx is committed to inclusion across race, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or identity. We celebrate uniqueness and believe diversity drives innovation. LumiraDx seeks to deliver high quality, affordable medical diagnostics and healthcare services accessible to everyone around the world, and we wish to reflect a global multi-cultural approach across our business
Please note, if you wish to submit an application for this role, please consider the following information
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you are an internal candidate, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, you may be subject to all or some of the LumiraDx standard pre-employment checks.
Criminal records data is processed as part of our recruitment and selection processes and, where necessary, in the course of employment, we verify that candidates are suitable for employment or continued employment to comply with legal and regulatory obligations to which the company is subject.
LumiraDx place a high level of importance on its responsibilities for information security and privacy and have put in place an information security management system to ensure that the company and its staff maintain the highest standards with respect to data protection and information security. All staff are responsible for information security and therefore must understand and comply with the Company information security policies, procedures and guidance.